Saturday, December 1, 2007

Change is Good

!
!
!

Repentance has been called the joy filled life by sister Basilea Schlink. (Her book Repentance- The Joy Filled Life (by M. Basilea Schlink) is available through www.kanaan.org .) I have to admit that my life lacks the constant joy that I desire, and lacks it because I have not been diligent in seeking God in the repenting of sins. I have no one to blame for my failings but myself. Many persons have shown God to be faithful to reward their diligence; it is now time I also seek Him diligently. It is my hope that something in the following may encourage you and help you to please God and to be joyful.

I don’t know how many times I have been quoted the verse “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.” Romans 8.1,2 It is a wonderful verse and very necessary to understand. Yet today I am struck by the thought that I have been confusing condemnation with conviction, and perhaps some quoting the verse to me have as well. Bob Mumford has pointed out that the truth almost always appears (quite) negative in its appearance. Conviction is a Divinely granted, unmistakable and clear understanding of my sin by the Holy Ghosts reproofs.

And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; John 16:8

The great good news is that since I am in Christ, the revelation of the fact of my sin(s) hurts. My conscience is alive to God, and because it is, I have sorrow, godly sorrow. It seems that I may have misunderstood godly sorrow, perhaps as it is present in my soul where unforgiveness, self pity and unfounded anger also reside. Is this kind of mixture possible? It seems so, and is very disturbing to me. But is not that the “fate” of even Divine conviction, that it is often not immediately welcomed with joy, or even acceptance.

Now in this process do we not cut off the deep workings of the Holy Spirit if we too quickly minister the assurance of Romans 8.1,2 and leave aside the matter I describe above? I think we need to know personally that sin is a great sorrow to our God who has never sinned, He who did watch His Only Begotten Son die because of sin, He who must also administer eternal condemnation and separation to countless souls daily. If we are saved to conform ourselves to the Image of Jesus our Savior, we will just necessarily have to be sorrowful as He was/is, and sorrowful over our sins. These ideas seem to have been lost in Christendom.

Instead of the acknowledgement of the need for godly sorrow, we seem to skip blithely to a state of “no condemnation”. I have come to the conclusion that faith without works is dead and that the first work of the Gospel is repentance. Repentance has been called the first word of the gospel. Christendom has in so many places rejected the idea of works, not knowing that there are dead works to be rejected, but living works to be embraced.

Matthew 3:1-2 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judea, And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Matthew 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

John 6:26-29 Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled. Labor not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed. Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

If repentance is the first word of the gospel, does this verse not contain the second? “…believe on him whom he hath sent”

I am persuaded that the second word of the gospel can be summed up as “work: believing God has sent Jesus and bear the fruits of repentance.” That repentance comes from conviction and conviction from the Holy Ghost is without question, yes? If not we have made it all up in our mind, and are in deception still. But since God is, He is able to regenerate us in every way, but not without our full fledged cooperation, that is, our submission to Him, believing on and in Him. He knows all and knows so much better than we how we must live and not perish.

Luke 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

What are the fruits of repentance? I had to consult a friend for this paragraph. I wanted to skip right to Galatians 5.22&23, but there is a journey to be made. He pointed out that repentance, which means change, will replace evil fruits with good fruits. Pride and arrogance will be replaced by humility and brokenness, greed with restitution and giving, envy with contentment, drunkenness with sobriety, lust with temperance and self denial. Idolatry will give way altogether to the Living God. Witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, all will be trod under by Love and the gospel of peace.

It is the initial appearance unpleasantness of repentance to the carnal mind which hinders so many, as it surely has hindered me. Mans carnality wants an effortless salvation. It is the selfish nature of carnal thinking to arrange for that, but effortless salvation is shallow at best, if it is salvation at all. Repentance can only make room for joy and for blessings untold and unknown without it. Today I fear many, and I remain without the fullness we might have by responding to the Truth about their sin. It seems very clear to me that the joy and the assurance of salvation will come and grow and be strong only by repentance. Oh to be as Paul our Apostle of the Lord Jesus who said: Brothers, by the right to be proud which the Messiah Yeshua our Lord gives me, I solemnly tell you that I die every day. 1 Corinthians 15:31

©2007 d. severy

No comments: